Thursday, July 26, 2012

gTar: Learn Guitar the Lazy Way?

I remember a few years ago, the folks from Rock Band said they were working on a way to adapt their guitar controllers to be able to teach people how to play guitar. I thought this was a good idea, as the more guitarists we have out there, the better the world would be. But it never came to fruition for whatever reason. I suspect it had mostly to do with the waning interest in the game itself, though I also suspect there is a decline in the number of kids taking up guitar. I have no numbers to support this; it’s just a hunch, and I hope I’m very, very wrong about that. Recently, I became aware of a new Kickstarter-funded project for a product called the gTar. As explained on their site:
The gTar is a fully digital guitar that makes it easy for anybody to play music, regardless of experience.
Okay, fair enough. We live in a world where everything must be done cheaper, easier, and faster. (I’m not exactly sure why, but apparently those are the rules now.) The problem is, will a product like this actually help people to learn to play guitar, or is it just another dump marketing scheme?

Let’s start with the general principle. You plug your iPhone into the guitar, and the free gTar app runs and lights up the frets you need to play as the song is heard through the guitar’s internal speaker. That’s pretty much it.
So is this a good way to learn to play guitar?
In a nutshell, I think it’s okay. Not the best way, certainly, but there are millions of folks out there who simply want to be able to strum a few chords and learn a few tunes; for that purpose I say get to it and have fun? However, as I’m sure all of the loyal Fretheads will agree, if you really want to learn to play well, the gTar just ain’t gonna cut it.
What do y’all think? Is this the “great new thing” when it comes to learning guitar?

No comments:

Post a Comment